lichess.org
Donate

Sick to death of being paired with 1500?

Far more often I face new players at lichess. It used to bother me but now I realize, as mentioned above, that many of them are <1500 and so I play with confidence and win enough to maintain my lofty 1500 rating. And at the end of the day.....just try to always play good chess. If you have dreams of getting better...then playing good players is a good thing, not something to avoid.
@killF7 if I paired you against Susan polgar, what on earth could either of you learn from such a game other than you lose over and over again. This is the point I'm making.
You kidding me? If you can't learn from a game with an elite chess player, then how are you supposed to learn at all?
Well not everyone wants to be a fish swimming in between of the sharks.
#13 - I fully agree with you - I would be happy to be thrown in a tournament with say GM-only, where a single draw would be a huge success for a little me :-)
Nevertheless, I can see the frustation why OP has opened this thread as in the around 1500 rating range rating can not be used as a tool to get paired with opponents of same level when facing provisionals.
The whole duty to help new players to start over lichess lies on that rating-range players shoulders.
@Funkmaus I agree with you in that 1500 starting creates some problems. I have advocated that the starting number should be all the way at the bottom, let's say 700. This problem would go away, and good players would work up the ranks quick enough.

@Mrchess78 Dude I'm so happy you chose to mention Judit Pulgar when imagining a great player. She's an awesome chess player and an awesome person. I'd gladly lose to her any day. Thanks for giving her a nod. (oh wait, I just noticed you mentioned her sister! I stand slightly corrected, but will stick with my story. :)
Well, I just had the following 1500? game. Is this the kind of competition you were talking about @Mrchess78 ? Let me tell you, it took all of my skill to pull out a draw. I'm so lucky.

Are you kidding? This game is absolutely nonsense and has nothing to do with chess or the subject of the thread.
@clousems OK so you think you can learn from playing a GM? OK. I fear you have slightly missed my point, which is being paired with 1500? Who are actually way higher rated on other speeds like rapid etc but who are starting out on classical at 1500? And having to play easy wins to get their rating up on classical to where it truly is, but in the meantime their opponents are losing rating points to players who are more advanced, and the higher rated players learn nothing from these tedious wins (from their prospective).
@killF7 your little joke about me mentioning Susan polgar, that apparently in your view she doesn't count as a great chess player, perhaps you should offer her a game of chess and show her where she went wrong?, I'm sure she would be keen to learn.

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.